Experience some of the most scenic and iconic landmarks of the Western States Trail as you cover up to 10,500’ of elevation gain along the North Fork of the American River. This course begins at China Wall and ends in downtown Auburn.
Saturday 27th April 2024
China Wall Trailhead - 05:00
Max Allowed Race Time
The 100K route is now in reverse of the 2022 edition with the added descent and climb from Devils Thumb to Swinging Bridge. From China Wall, take Mitchell Mine Rd and drop into Eldorado Canyon then up the Western States Trailto Deadwood where runners will make their way past the Pump to the infamous Swinging Bridge. From Devils Thumb go left on Loop 6 and a second visit to Deadwood Aid Station, jump back on the WST and then the journey towards Auburn! A quick descent to Eldorado Bridge then up to Michigan Bluff to make the way through Volcano Canyon to Foresthill and continuing along Cal Street. Following the Western States Trail, runners will run along the American River, up to Driver’s Flat, to Mammoth Bar and take the Confluence Trail to No Hands Bridge. After crossing No Hands Bridge, it’s the final stretch up to Robie Point where runners follow the route to cross Ann Trason’s White Bridge and finish in historic downtown Auburn! Approximately 13,000 feet of vert, 17,000 feet of descent.
Runners will have 20 hours to get their Western States Qualifier with an overall cut-off of 21 hours.
*Course maps subject to change.
- Minimum water supply: 1 liter of hydration capacity
- Reusable cup
- One (1) working headlamp with spare cells/batteries. Recommendation of 200 lumens or more for the main light
- Jacket with hood for bad weather in the mountains/course terrain.
- Running pack to carry recommended gear throughout the race.
- Additional Nutrition recommendation: 800 kcal (2 gels + 2 energy bars)
- Mobile/Cell phone (smartphone strongly recommended) with international roaming that works in the United States of America. Each runner should save the organization's safety phone #'s
- ID –passport/ID card
- Survival blanket of 1.40m x 2m minimum / 55 inches x 80 inches.
Aid Station Chart
Learn more about each Aid Station, elevation gain and loss, cut-off times, and where drop bags and crew are allowed on course