28th April 2023
The Canyons 100 mile race is a point-to-point uphill run from Auburn to China Wall with approximately 24,000’ of vertical gain along the Western States Trail and other iconic trails.
It all starts in historic downtown Auburn. Across Ann Trason’s White Bridge, up to Robie Point then jumping on the Western States Trail. A fast descent to No Hands Bridge. From No Hands bridge the race turns to the infamous K2 climb over to Cool and down the Coffer loop to the American River, up to the Olmstead loop and back to Cool. Leaving Cool, you'll follow the WS Trail across Hwy 49 then to Quarry trail, and up Brown’s Bar to ALT, continuing on to American Canyon down to the Quarry trail and back to the Western States Trail returning to No Hands Bridge to rejoin the 100k route. Take the Confluence Trail to Mammoth Bar then to Drivers Flat and rejoin the WS Trail along Cal Street on to Foresthill, through Volcano Canyon to Michigan Bluff, down into Eldorado Canyon and up to Deadwood. Take the steep Devil’s Thumb descent to Swinging Bridge back up to Loop 6 with amazing views, then back to Deadwood and a big drop into Eldorado Canyon for the final big climb to China Wall. The cu-toff for a Western States qualifier is 36 hours.
*Course maps subject to change.
- Minimum water supply: 1 liter of hydration capacity
- Reusable cup
- Running pack for carrying supplies for the duration of the race.
- Mobile/Cell phone with international roaming that works in the United States of America.
- Each runner should save the organization's safety phone numbers, Two (2) working headlamp with spare cells/batteries.
- Recommendation of 200 lumens or more for the main light. One can remain in drop bags.
- Jacket with hood for bad weather in the mountains/course terrain.
- Additional Nutrition recommendation: 800 kcal (2 gels + 2 energy bars)
- Mobile/Cell phone back-up charger
- ID –passport/ID card
- Survival blanket of 1.40m x 2m minimum / 55 inches x 80 inches.